Monday, December 5, 2011

On gwt-validation, 2.0, and milestones

I've been working on the gwt-validation project for several years now.  I've not been a very good open source project leader at all.  I've been closed, uncommunicative, and passive.

Worst of all, I've not been providing direction.  I'm going to be changing all of that.

Where does this leave us?  Well, for starters, I've got an announcement to make.  The gwt-validation project is going to version 2.0 "soon."  This means that it will be available on the project page and in Maven Central as well.  That's right!  I said Maven Central.

I'm also going to be creating tasks for the 2.2 milestone.  The 2.1 milestone will be given over to fixing issues in the 2.0 milestone.  I'm looking forward to having people contribute on the 2.1 and 2.2 milestones.  I want to see that pom.xml file explode with people.

In addition to these things I'm going to update this blog with information on how gwt-validation works and what I've learned while making it.  Hopefully with a view towards improving the GWT community as a whole.

Stay tuned.

5 comments:

Rune said...

sounds good! Thanks for your work.

Ted M. Young said...

The use of LGPL prevents us from using it in our product. Any plans on changing the license or dual-licensing it?

Chris Ruffalo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chris Ruffalo said...

Ted,

What about the LGPL prevents its use? I was trying to be as permissible as possible.

My intent with the licensing was to:
- Allow anyone to use it for any purpose.
- Obligate users to contribute back to the project if they made any changes.

Chris Ruffalo said...

Actually, you know what, r293 just changes it to Apache License v2.0.

Just for you Ted.

Not really... it more fits the original ideas of the software. It was my fault for failing to do the research.